We may not have gotten any Breath of the Wild sequel updates, but Nintendo did have one piece of Zelda news to share during its recent Direct livestream: Skyward Sword is coming to Nintendo Switch. Releasing July 16, 2021, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD is an enhanced port of the 2011 Wii game, and preorders are available now on the eShop and at Best Buy.
In addition to announcing the HD remaster, Nintendo revealed a new pair of Zelda-themed Joy-Cons will release alongside Skyward Sword HD on July 16. There are two ways you’ll be able to play Skyward Sword on Switch, and the first method includes using the Joy-Cons’ motion controls for swinging your sword, aiming your bow, and more. For those who prefer to play without motion controls, you’ll also be able to play using a regular Pro Controller or in handheld mode using buttons only.
For those who never played the original, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the first game in the official Zelda timeline and dives into the origins of the Master Sword. It begins on the floating island of Skyloft, where Link is a knight-in-training. After his friend Zelda is kidnapped and taken to the Surface, the abandoned land below the clouds, Link sets out to rescue her, guided by a spirit called Fi. The game earned a 7.5/10 in our original Skyward Sword review, which you can check out for more info.
- Little Nightmares 2 Preorder Guide: Release Week Discounts, Preorder Bonuses, And More
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury Preorders: Release Date, New Switch Model, And More
- Monster Hunter Rise Preorder Details: Release Date, Collector’s Edition, Bonuses, And More
- Nier Replicant Preorder Guide: Bonuses, Price, And Special Edition
- Resident Evil Village Preorder Details Revealed: Collector’s Edition, Preorder Bonuses, And More
- Halo Infinite Preorders Are Live, Including A Discounted Bundle
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.